Auckland City Council, Local Parks has a special message of continuity for those who wish to continue their volunteering at a backyard level with things you can continue to do during this Lockdown period of Ecofest North and ongoing.
- Backyard weeding (goes without saying really) https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/Pages/default.aspx
- Collect and propagate native seeds from your backyard: https://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/run-a-project/restoration-advice/native-plant-restoration/ecosource-seeds/grow-seeds/
- Bird counts: https://www.doc.govt.nz/our-work/five-minute-bird-counts/resources/
- Research some history of your reserve online. Pakeha and Maori history. https://natlib.govt.nz/
- Research new ways to connect with nature such as Rongoa Maori and native plant medicine https://teara.govt.nz/en/rongoa-medicinal-use-of-plants
- Engage your tamariki (children) and Mokopuna (grandchild) with nature conservation ideas and inspiration
Daily Backyard Wild Child activities https://www.facebook.com/aucklandparks/
Pest Detectives https://www.pestdetective.org.nz/
Kiwi Conservation Club activities https://kcc.org.nz/activities/
Kiwi Guardian Take Action in your backyard https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/toyota-kiwi-guardians/take-action/
For more details see Dan Marrow's (Park Ranger) for guidance and links provided.